Whether you are having a business or you are an Individual, a website can help you drive organic traffic, build authority and increase your online visibility.
If you are a digital marketer or learning digital marketing, then you must learn how to make a website using WordPress. This will help you build and manage websites for your clients and projects.
Often many people assume that creating a website is expensive, time-consuming and difficult.
Good News: Creating a website is much easier than you think.
You don’t even need programming or coding knowledge to make a website, neither you need to hire an expensive website developer.
In this guide, I am going to show you how to create a professional website using WordPress.
Let’s start with the basics:
What is a Website?
In technical terms, a website is a collection of HTML pages interlinked via a navigation menu or hyperlinks. A website can be hosted on a domain name so it can be accessed by anyone on the internet.
For Example website of Optron Academy is accessible via https://www.optron.in and a website of Amazon India is accessible via https://www.amazon.in
Similarly, you can check any other website on the internet via their web address which is known as a domain name or URL
You can learn more about the domain name, website and blogging in our Advanced Digital Marketing Course –
Is website making difficult?
In the past websites were created by web developers using HTML and CSS code. Creating a website used to require coding and programming knowledge and it used to be very difficult for beginners to create a website.
Building a professional website was difficult and expensive for people without coding knowledge and it was also expensive to hire a developer to build a website for small businesses.
Because of huge development & hosting cost, only big businesses were having websites.
These days, making a website or starting a blog is very easy and you can make a website without coding knowledge. You can use website development platforms like WIX, WordPress and many other website builders to make a professional website.
NOTE: Due to the popularity of WIX, many small businesses in India switched to WIX and then realised it’s more expensive than building a website on WordPress.
In this tutorial, I am going to talk about how to use WordPress for building a professional website on a budget.
Let’s begin with our guide – How to make a website using WordPress:
Here are steps to make a professional website:
- Step 1: Decide a purpose of having a website
- Step 2: Buy a perfect domain name for your website (Or Blog)
- Step 3: Buy Hosting for your website
- Step 4: Install WordPress on hosting
- Step 5: Install essential WordPress Plusing
- Step 6: Choose a theme (Install Theme)
- Step 7: Install Elementor – Page Builder
- Step 8: Choose a website template
- Step 9: Edit pages and content on the website
- Step 10: Make your website live
Getting started with website creation
Before you start making your website, you must decide a purpose of a website, who is going to visit your website, how your website will help your audience and how are you going to make use of your website.
do you just want to make a website for learning purposes?
Get answers to the following questions about making a website:
- Do you want to sell products online or generate leads?
- Do you want to promote your own brand with a personal website?
- Do you want to share your knowledge via a blog?
- Do you want to make money via affiliate marketing?
- Do you want to make a website for learning
Having answers to the above questions can help you get started in the right direction and save your money and valuable time.
Pro Tips: Don’t just start a website. Start a website with a purpose and a goal.
You want to create a website for business and sell your products online, you may want to start with an E-commerce website and you may need to choose your domain, hosting plan, website platform and theme accordingly.
Now assuming you want to make a website for your small business just to showcase your products or services, you can build a small business website using WordPress and Elementor.
You can also use create a business blog or personal blog using WordPress.
BTW, creating an e-commerce website is beyond the scope of this article. I may create a complete tutorial on how to create an e-commerce website from scratch to sell products online.
Depending on your requirement, you can decide on the domain name, template, platforms and plugins to make a website.
Step 1: Choose the perfect domain name
Your domain name is the identity of your online presence and your website. Choosing a domain name is one of the most difficult tasks while creating a website.
Depending on your requirements, you can choose a domain name for your website.
Here are some examples of domain name
I have used bhavesh.in as a domain name for my personal blog and sastadeals.in as a domain name for an e-commerce website which we use for training purposes.
Kamalimaging.com is a domain name for a business website owned by Kamal Imaging in Goregaon and one of my students is using digiword99.com as a domain name for her digital marketing blog.
similarly, you can choose a domain name for your website based on your business name and brand name.
To decide a domain name, go to bigrock.in and search for available domain names. You can choose a .com, .in, .co.in, .co or any other suitable domain name extensions.
Ideally, you must try to get .com extension if .com is not available, you may choose .in extension and you may choose .co.in or .net extension if popular extensions are not available.
Tips for choosing a domain name:
- Try to keep your domain name as short a possible – under 7 characters – bhaveshg.in
- Use your brand name or keywords in your domain – digitalmastery.in
- Avoid domain names with dash eg. cheap-loans.com – (Avoid)
- Try to create a unique name that is not used on the internet – for example imvatsal.com
Tips for registering a domain name:
- Buy a domain name for 2 years or more
- If possible buy privacy protection to prevent privacy of your domain owner
- Always keep your domain on auto-renewal to avoid expiring
- Remember to renew your domain at least 2 months before it’s expiry
Top websites to buy a domain name
Once you are ready with your domain name, you can buy a domain name from various websites. Avoid buying from cheap and unknown domain registrars and avoid using cheap hosting companies to buy domains.
Popular domain name registrars are:
- Bigrock – bigrock is my personal favourite for domain name and hosting
- GoDaddy – I also use GoDaddy for buying domain and hosting
- NameCheap – NameCheap is also another popular domain name reseller
Knowing how to make a website can help you save time and money. You can learn website designing by joining professional website development courses or learning online.
Bhavesh Gudhka is an entrepreneur, digital marketing consultant, trainer, author and founder of Optron Academy. Bhavesh has more than 12 years of experience in IT, Web Development, Digital Marketing & SEO.