In digital marketing, SEO is a very important topic. SEO is useful for obtaining organic or free traffic by ranking our website on the first page of Google.
What is SEO?
SEO is the process of ranking your website in the organic search results of the search engine. Generally, SEO is used in digital marketing strategy to gain visibility in search results and gain organic traffic on websites or blogs or YouTube channels for target keywords.
Benefits of using SEO in digital marketing?
Ranking a website on the first page of Google is the best way to drive traffic to a website or blog. There are two ways your website can be shown on Google.
- Paid Method – You can use Google Ads to show your ads
- Organic Method – Appearing on the first page of Google without spending money on Ads. This is called SEO.
In this SEO guide, you will learn everything about SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO is an acronym for Search Engine Optimization. Search engine optimization is all about getting our website on the first page of google for a specific search query or the keyword.
This means when anyone searches for relevant keywords, they will get our website on the first page of Google, and then they will visit our website by clicking on the search results.
In different words – SEO is an alternative to Google Ads or paid search advertising
Let’s understand SEO in a better way:
SEO is the process of getting a website on the first page of Google by making necessary changes to the website structure, content and creating links to the pages.
Sometimes SEO is also known as promoting a website in Google for Free.
Things you should know about SEO
- Search Engine Optimization is complex & time-consuming
- Don’t expect quick results from SEO
- SEO takes time and careful planning and proper execution
- The ranking of a website entirely depends on Google Algorithms
- If Google changes its algorithm, your ranking will change
- Content is the most important part of SEO
- If you are not writing original, useful, and relevant content, you will not be able to get a good ranking on Google
- There are hundreds of factors that determine the ranking of your website in Google search results
Now since we know what is SEO, let’s understand why do we need SEO?
Why SEO is important?
There are billions of websites on the internet. If your website is not optimized and not listed in the search engine, you may not be able to get traffic on your website.
This means, if you want to get traffic on your website, you must do SEO and optimize your website for search engines.
This means SEO can help you drive website traffic for free.
If you are in business, you can use SEO to bring visitors to your website and generate leads or sell your products. You can use SEO to drive traffic to your blog to get more subscribers to your email list.
How do we get started with SEO?
People often ask me how to do SEO for a new website and how to get started with SEO? Is it possible to rank a website in Google for free or how long does Google take to show results?
Trust me, SEO is not difficult if you know how Google works and how does Google ranks websites. SEO is a complex and time-consuming process and if you follow all steps, you will start getting results in less than 6 months.
You will need the following things to learn SEO or start SEO
- A website or a blog that you want to rank in Google. Ideally, you must have a WordPress-based website or a blog.
- Your website must be hosted on really fast, secure, and stable hosting. Don’t ever think of hosting websites on very cheap or free hosting.
- Install SSL certificate on your website. Getting top ranking without SSL is going to be very difficult soon.
- If you are using WordPress, install SEO plugins like YoastSEO or RankMath. – I have used both and they both are working well for me.
- Setup Google Search Console for your domain.
- Setup Google Analytics for your domain.
- You may also need various SEO tools, keyword research tools, SEO audit tools.
Once you are done with your domain, website, Search Console, and Google Analytics, you can decide on keywords and site structure.
Depending on your business, website, or blog, you will have to choose keywords, website structure etc.
The best way to learn SEO or practice SEO is to start with a blog.